Sunday, August 11, 2002

Ouch, ouch, ouch… I guess I just experienced my first time getting sunburnt.

Today, we had “Team Challenge” outdoor activities, where we had to participate in various events, typical team-building activities. At the end of every activity there was a debrief on how these events related to Ernst & Young’s “global shared values”: Integrity, Teamwork, Leadership, Client-driven, and Innovation (not sure if I missed any… I should probably know these by heart by now.) The activities were pretty fun, and my team was pretty cool. However, it was outdoors ALL DAY (9:30 – 3:30), in the middle of an open field, on a clear sunny day in Orlando, Florida.

Wonderful.

So much for my many efforts at avoiding getting a tan. [sigh]…

All throughout the conference the presenters have been emphasizing these shared values, expanding on each one. This morning the presenters spoke about Leadership. They described a number of facets of leadership that they felt defined the term. I don’t remember most of them, but the one that stood out was “servant-leader”.

I don’t know what faith they believe in, but they did share that they were religious. However, the concept of servant-leader really only brings one person to mind: the person of Jesus Christ. I was very impressed that they are able to bring such meekness into the culture of the firm. And their humility was apparent to everyone.

After dinner, we had a little treat: we were lucky to see the illusions of Craig Kargas. It was amazing, but extremely freaky. He performed tricks as mind-reading (predicting beforehand that 4 members of the audience would collectively pick: a Dodge Viper that is black, with license plate AB4792, with a cost of $52,711.13. It was crazily scary. He also performed physical distortions (he broke off the head of a spoon by pinching it (and concentrating, but that’s just performance) right in front of our eyes. I don’t know… it was just really crazy stuff. =P

This evening after dinner, everyone went out, and I got a taste of Pleasure Island. Well, nothing really, just a number of clubs in one place (8 of them, to be exact.) We were all tired anyway, so we didn’t stay long. Why some parents brought their kids to Pleasure Island, I don’t understand. =P

Anyway, one more session tomorrow morning, and I will be on my way back home.

So enough Orlando for another few years. =P

Until next time, this is Gladys Yam.

No comments: