Monday, February 03, 2003

Sorry, I've been busy with various things, as usual... This is a cheap post, actually; it's not written by me, but I thought it was interesting and it also goes back to the initial topic of this blog: BALANCE. =)

-----

Keeping the balance in your life
By Rick Warren

“And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.” —Luke 2:52 (NIV)

The Law of Balance is built into our universe. For things to function properly there must be equilibrium.

For example …

… The Earth doesn't vibrate when it rotates because it is balanced on its axis. And we neither freeze to death nor burn up because we are just the right distance from the sun.

… Nature exists in balanced ecosystems. God has built checks and balances into nature that keep the food chain in order.

… In Architecture, the stress on a building must be balanced or it will collapse.

… The Human Body works best when our systems are balanced. Imbalance is called "illness.” Restoring balance is called "healing.”

One of the most common problems I see are people living imbalanced lives. It’s a disease with many symptoms but the same root cause. You can become imbalanced with anything - working, eating, sleeping, playing, TV, sex …etc.

The fact is - many people tend to pay more attention to their PUBLIC lives and neglect their PRIVATE side. Like poor photographs, they are overexposed and underdeveloped.

The results of imbalance are always the same: frustration and fatigue. Like imbalanced tires, you wear out quickly. Imbalance unchecked eventually leads to burnout.

A number of years ago, Dr. Charles Garfield did a landmark study on "Peak Performers"- those who were leaders in their respective fields. One of the common denominators of peak performers was that - contrary to popular myth - they were not single minded workaholics but rather balanced
individuals.

The most balanced person who ever lived was Jesus Christ. In one translation, the Bible says he "grew intellectually, physically, spiritually, and socially.” (Luke 2:52)

How would you rate yourself in these four categories of growth?
Is there balance in your life or have you neglected one or more of these key areas?

Let me challenge you to do a personal check-up this week:

- Am I mentally sharper than 5 years ago? Why not?
- Will I do anything about it?
- Am I frequently complaining of fatigue or poor health?
What's my plan to change?
- Am I developing the spiritual side of my life? What am I doing
to better understand God and his purpose for my life?
- Am I cultivating meaningful relationships where support is
given and received?
- Who can count on me as a genuine friend?

-PDL-

Copyright 2002 by Rick Warren.
Rick Warren is the author of “The Purpose Driven Life” and pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California.

No comments: