Saturday, January 11, 2003

Agism.

Or, if you prefer, ageism; both spellings are acceptable.

“Prejudice or discrimination against a particular age-group.” [Merriam-Webster Dictionary]. Based on empirical occurrence, I mainly try to address the discrimination of maturity against younger age groups.

It is a concept that I never knew existed until now; when I was younger I seldom had the privilege of dealing with many of my elders to be on the receiving end of any discrimination. Either that, or I was never possessed such strength of character to be resentful of any subordinate treatment due to my age.

It appears that younger age groups have had to endure the judgement that they are less mature or even immature solely because they are younger. From this assumption stems the argument that maturity is not solely dependent on one’s age.

And I agree.

Maturity, (I think) an elusive concept that we attempt to achieve in our years, does not possess a causal relationship to age. An associated relationship though, perhaps. [Herein kicks in my statistical background. =P] However, to explore this issue, “maturity” must first be defined…

Until next time, this is Gladys Yam.

No comments: