Sunday, February 16, 2003

Peace.

It has been a while since I have experienced peace in our apartment -- my roommates have left Waterloo for reading week. Not that I don't enjoy the [yeet lau] loud fun when it *is* here, but it is definitely nice to once in a while recline from my usual whirlwind of activities, throw on some jazz tunes, and reflect...

Les Miserables

Definitely my favourite musical. I used to, and still do, empathize with the character of Eponine, the tragic heroine who does not win the heart of her guy. I've always loved "On My Own" due to its relability, although right now, I can't say I really pine for anyone in particular... =p Anyway, the point of this reflection is not about relationships...

If I were to sum up the musical in one word, it would be grace. No doubt, it was writen with such a theme in mind, but the following are just a few extracts of my analyses...

Contrary to the functionings of the world, not everything is about what we deserve... Yes, the world is unfair; he did not deserve to be ostracized by society when he tried to look for a normal job, but after the Bishop of Digne treated him kindly, Valjean stepped back and asked, "Why? Why are you so nice to me?" To which the bishop replied,

But remember this, my brother
See in this some higher plan
You must use this precious silver
To become an honest man.


Following the Bishop's challenge, Valjean decides to turn from his old self. No, actually, more than that: he kills his old self and begins anew. Easier said than done, I know, but with a complete change in attitude and mindset towards his new goal, obstacles *will* be overcome.

[more to come]

Until next time, this is Gladys Yam.

No comments: