Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Well, to continue some analysis of Les Miserables, I am sure it is apparent to all, but I thought it was cool how the theme of grace constantly prevailed over the law...

Despite the righteousness that comes with abiding with the law: "You have done your duty, nothing more," in the end, the law cannot prevail over grace:

And must I now begin to doubt,
Who never doubted all these years?
My heart is stone and still it trembles
The world I have known is lost in shadow.
Is he from heaven or from hell?
And does he know
That granting me my life today
This man has killed me even so?
...
It is either Valjean or Javert!


And what of the final statement,
"To love another person is to see the face of God."?

Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.
–– Matthew 26:40

No comments: