Thursday, May 30, 2002

Opportunity cost: The loss of the next best alternative.

It has been said that our greatest gift and resource is time. Given this limited resource, should we not find the production possibilities frontier; that is, the combination of activities that produces the maximum potential? Haha, incredible isn't it, that economics is *actually* applicable to life? Oh, what is that? It *is* life? Okay, ri-ght.=P Enough jargon for now.

*However*, depending on your definition of maximum potential, the optimal combination does not necessarily lead to balance. People who love their jobs may just want to spend their day and nights at the office. Workaholicism isn't a problem then, is it? Haha, no, I'm not advocating for myself... =P The root of this issue is independent, questioning the appropriateness of one's placement of value.

Personally, I've come to the realization that I'm not as ambitious as I thought I was, or as I used to be. NO, it does *not* have to do with anything marriage related. =P I think everyone has a purpose for our lives, and I no longer see the value in a stellar career. For me, I place value in the people around me. As a Bessie Stanley (to be confirmed) wrote, (apparently incorrectly attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson), "...To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived..."

What is *your* purpose on this earth?

Until next time, this is Gladys Yam.

No comments: