Sunday, November 28, 2004

Ok... I won't be able to practically hide this any longer:

I bought a new car.

Yes, it's exciting and all, but I'm still coming to terms with it... mainly because I still feel kind of guilty about such a frivolous purchase; perhaps I feel like I need to explain, for some reason...

Anyway, I'm not trying to rationalize or anything, but these are just my sentiments:

This car is definitely a gift from God; only by his grace and mercy. As with any gift, there is a corresponding responsibility, so I am reminded of the importance of stewardship, not only regarding financial matters but of all aspects of my life, including fellowship and my missions initiative. This made me think about second year when I was one of the few people fortunately to have a car at university, and how much I cared to use it for His service. In addition, I am reminded of being a witness -- like the words of Nichole Nordemann's "Legacy".

Haha, when I picked it up last week, I thought about the phrase of picking up "my new baby". Similarly though, I wanted to lay hands on it and dedicate it as any baby dedication we do at church. Even though I didn't do the "lay hands" part, it was my prayer that the car remain in God's protection (especially with my novice manual transmission driving skills!) and that it be dedicated for His service.

So all that being said, please do not dote on my car... as tempting it is to decorate the cute car... haha... but even though I bought it because I thought it looked nice, it's a conscious decision not to emphasize it more than my usual "everything's not a big deal". After all, it is only matter:

"It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon
enough destroy."
Until next time, this is Gladys Yam.

No comments: