Tuesday, September 02, 2008

English Roadtrip - July 2008 - The Spiritual Renewal Tour II

Well, after coming back to the right spiritual centre, we continued on the rest of our journey until I departed from my parents in Manchester (they continued to 'play' in England, while Alison and I took the train to London). Unfortunately, it wasn't without difference of opinion, since my family had an idea of how they wanted to spend the rest of their vacation and I provided different practical suggestions, but in the end, they worked it out.

In London, Alison and I saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, which... was not the greatest musical. Did I emphasize already that it was really cheesy? Nonetheless, despite the cheesy music and costumes, to me, there was an effect like a sung sermon on the Joseph story. Since I had never heard the music before, the lyrics of "Close Every Door" touched me.. in fact, I found myself very much in tears at the reprise of this song at the closing. [Probably the only one in the theatre, I think! :p]

"If my life were important I
Would ask will I live or die
But I know the answers lie
Far from this world"


Why? The Joseph story is about his obedience to God in all circumstances -- after having been sold as a slave to Egypt, after being falsely accused for a crime -- but despite his circumstances, through his obedience, God used him in a great way to serve his family (especially his brothers who betrayed his life) and his people (the Israelites). And, it reminds me of myself (actually, everyone), because I believe God has similar requirements of obedience for each of us. I have been thinking about that lately for myself, since I believe God brought me to Hong Kong... but what next? Surely, Ernst & Young is not the world and my entire life. ;) As part of the search for direction, I think the Joseph story reminded me of simple obedience. Daily.

I guess I have quite settled into my many years at Ernst & Young. I know it is a lot more comfortable than I think is healthy. I think I was crying because the thought of leaving this huge comfort zone is scary... even paralyzing. It is so uncertain that leads to the feeling of being lost...

What I felt was a reminder of the need for daily prayer and continued searching. Through it, I believe God will show me his way for me to find it. So who knows where my life will lead, but I trust it will be used, if I allow it. And in this daily obedience, we may find joy and peace. :)

A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? -- Ecclesiastes 2:24-25

No comments: