Tuesday, August 12, 2008

THANK you all for the many, many messages wishing me happy birthday. :)
It was a happy day!

If we were to play a game of jeopardy, the answer is "NO". :p

But my birthday would not be complete if I did not take the time to be quiet and reflect on my life journey. As usual, I don't place intrinsic value on the day (nor do I need to do anything special), but it is a milestone to gauge our progress in this lifetime.

Looking back to last year, I was caught in a pretty melancholy mood. Not that I used to feel them often, actually, but I think such a mood can easily veer off into a narcissism (you get the word I'm looking for)... so there needs to be a counter-balance. We look to ourselves, we look to this world, and we look up.

When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

--- Psalm 8:3-4


God is good. I was reminded of the need to slow down, to be quiet, to think and to reflect. I even think that getting sick is God's way of forcing me to do that if I have been going too hard for some time. Though the slow pace felt uncomfortable, it was part of God molding me to simplicity. I think the complexities of the world are just more and more unnecessary, and too often we create them ourselves or foolishly throw ourselves at it. And in my un-comfortability, God is mindful of me, cares for me. There were some chaotic crises last December, and God provided strength and a community to support me. And through some other emotional struggles, I was met with His peace.

A pure, sincere and stable spirit is not distracted in a multitude of affairs, for it works all to the honor of God, and inwardly blessed to be at rest from self-seeking intentions.
--- Imitations of Christ -- by Thomas a Kempis, Chp 3


Now, I know you're waiting for it, is the most obvious change this year, of David coming into my life. Or, the other perspective is me finally entering into his life. ;) Needless to say, it has been a blessing to learn how to lead a Christ-centred relationship replete with open, natural, and honest communication. And further, it has been an encouragement to challenge each other in complementary ways towards a fullness of life, whether it is appreciating the discipline and stability of quiet meditation, or learning to experience pure joy in all aspects of daily living.

It has also been a good challenge to consider my life service to Him... especially as things have gotten quite comfortable in Hong Kong and at E&Y... to continue on with my thoughts from last year, change is often needed. It is just a matter of time!

If you have raced with men on foot
and they have worn you out,
how can you compete with horses?
--- Jeremiah 12:5


May we continue to press on...until next time, this is Gladys Yam.

No comments: