Wednesday, June 29, 2005

A bunch of us went to watch the movie the other day -- probably the best turnout I've seen since "Along Came Polly". Anyway, I think it's safe to say that no one was disappointed with the movie; I don't think I've read any bad reviews about it yet. I did enjoy it thoroughly!

Aside from the action thriller part of the movie, the movie does deal with issues such as

- What is justice? --> Vengeance?
- How much can one person do?
- to a lesser extent "What is balance?" [A convoluted definition of balance as the antongonistic objective...]
- and finally, "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."

I know I am initiating a semi-pointless and resolutionless discussion [it's all about semantics, I know, and I'm not making any arguments, per se], but here goes... for some reason, that line really makes me uncomfortable! Perhaps it is because I have always preached about the importance of one's character; in fact, that is what God sees of every one of us. A simple tally of "good works" easily becomes hollow because man's motive is so often and easily clouded. I am reminded of my previous post about the New Pioneer Awards back in March -- I was too lazy to post my follow-up sentiments about the night. As impressive as each award winner was, I couldn't help feel that it was all about building personal empires which realistically can be "destroyed" in a night. What lasts?

On the other hand, I am reminded by the apostle James in his book, which to me, summarizes the moral of the movie:

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

- James 2:14-17


Taking it one step further, I am reminded of the Catholic Council of Trent, which essentially declared justification by the merits of good works (as opposed to the protestant position of faith). Even though this comparison is not really accurate (topic of fighting for justice vs. salvation), I just want to present the discussion about semantics... "faith" according to the Catholic church, did they mean to exclude works anyway? Not that I agree with the institutional nature of the Roman Catholic church, but their doctrine...

And not that I disagree with the line from the movie, I just don't like how it's worded even though the underlying message (although not explicitly stated) is the same...

Anyway... just a discussion of what went through my mind after the movie... that's "type C" for you.. =p

Until next time, this is Gladys Yam.

No comments: