Sunday, August 13, 2006

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. - Ephesians 3:20

Probably, if I were to characterize the year by a Bible verse, the above verse would stick out in my mind the most. Not that I necessarily engage in such annual characterizations, but I was obviously reminded this year by a friend of my "likely last birthday in Canada" -- at least for the near term. I leave it open as to where I will be in the long term.

Annually, though, I *do* take a step back and stand in awe of the abundance of blessings that have been showered on my life. And annually (especially documented since 2002... some years more elaborate than others =p), the theme recurs -- of praise and thanksgiving to God for the blessing of a community that is bound together in Christ.

I echo my sentiments from 2004 as I see that by God's grace, he has expanded this small band, "Despite being in all different years, I consider them all to be peers whom I admire and strive to embody their various virtues. It is our peers who walk alongside and pick us up when we need it, yet, understand the trek while we are walking it, unlike mentors or other authoritative people who have walked ahead of us." It is evident that I have continued to seek for that which is real... real friendships... real people... real life... what is the real me?

This year has been an interesting discovery into the "real", through challenges in seminary, looking at behavioural experiences in the corporate environment, and through encouragements from brothers and sisters in Christ, I have seen a slight maturation of understanding... and I thank God for giving me the opportunity to experience my real struggles and insecurities, only with the support of so many real people. But not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. [Phillippians 3:12] Today's Sunday sermon also validated this challenge with much timeliness -- to dig through the illusory and temporal things of this world in search of the real... which is also lasting.

No doubt these reflections have been likely catalyzed by my preparations to relocate, and I realize the significance of the move is (finally) starting to hit me... I look forward to sharing my reflections before the time comes, and afterwards for those who wish to keep tabs on me ;). On the other hand, perhaps with age, maybe I'm just reflecting all over the place in too many abstract ways, haha.

Thanks for sharing in a truly fruitful year... to help me continually see God in so many ways. Until next time, this is Gladys Yam.

No comments: